Thursday, July 22, 2010

Body Image and Goal #4

I think I have a pretty decent body image.  In general I like what I was given.. I think I've got a good structure to work with :)  What I do with it is my decision, right?  So, I actually can admire pieces of me but I do have my insecurities and 'trouble spots' that bother me.  What really gets me is how I can swing one day from literally standing in my underwear in front of the mirror and flexing and posing and thinking ... yeah baby you look hot.  To literally that night getting dressed for bed and going.. oh my god my thighs are huge, when did my butt-thigh (also known as saddlebag) get so jiggly.  Its ridiculous how either a mood, or what I ate that day or what I did or didn't do for exercise or my outfit can really change how I'm feeling at that moment about my various parts.  I think part of that can sometimes be hormonal but then again maybe I'm just reaching for an answer.  It usually ends up balancing itself out again though and I feel pretty satisfied.  I really feel better when I get in a good workout that makes me sweat or one where I was lifting weights and noticing my muscles improving in their strength or visibility.

Do you fluctuate in your 'feelings' about your body?

Today was a 6 mile run with my husband and nephew who is in town.  It was a little hot so I felt like I was dragging on the way out but on the way back I felt a little better which is the mental "I'm goin home!" feeling I get.  I recently got a new Garmin 110 which I'm SO excited about because its much much smaller than my old forerunner 201 which is huge on my wrist.  Plus, this new one comes with a heart rate monitor which is great because I have never worn one so I'm really enjoying watching my heart rate throughout a run and seeing what it does.  I haven't downloaded the software yet but as soon as I do I'll be analyzing my runs.  It can only help, right?  Just to give you an idea of the 2 Garmins.. Check out these pictures..



My nephew kept up with Dave which was really impressive since this 6 miles is the longest he's ever run.  Very cool.  It does help that he is only 18 :)




So, back to my goal list.  Goal #4 was add more strength training which so far is the first one I've done really good at.  I do at least 1-2 strength sessions a week now which I'm really excited about.  I forgot how much I enjoy lifting weights and feeling stronger when I do it so its something I definitely plan to keep up with.  I don't have a planned schedule and usually just do what I can fit in or what I feel like doing that week.  I might start trying to plan my workouts out a little bit more especially if I decide to train for any upcoming races then I'll need a schedule.  Usually I do a Pilate's session, a yoga session, some running, some spinning and 1-2 weight sessions per week.  I think I might start tracking it though so I can see what I'm really doing so when I say I'm tired I can figure out whether its actually because I've been working out a lot or if I'm just being a baby :)  Its a good thing I eat well to fuel the workouts though.  Speaking of that; tomorrow night is homemade pizza night.  Here are a few shots of a past pizza night.  Check out those pies!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I have to again say what a great writer you are. You keep your audience engaged throughout. Either laughing hysterically or going yeah that applies to me. I soooo see myself standing in front of the mirror saying if only I have that tummy tuck. Then after a good lifting looking at my shoulders which are pretty shredded and feeling impressed. I do keep track of what I am doing so I can see my results. So far not too bad. Although I have to cut out the late night binge snacking. If I did that I wouldn't have to run as far. Did Branden like pizza night? Do you make or buy your crust. I was thinking about trying pizza and could use your recipe and your favorite toppings. I have a night I would like to make it for. Branden will come back with so many new adventures. Love you Nancy