Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Another great breakfast and Goal #3

Today's breakfast was another winner.  Today I opted for savory and didn't do my oatmeal and instead decided to do a scramble which turned out YUMMY.  It was actually more of a brunch because I had a Kind fruit + nut bar after I woke up and before I headed out to Pilate's.  So finished Pilate's and got home and was starving...so my breakfast actually ended up being about 11am.  Dave has been making/growing his own sprouts lately so I was trying to figure how to incorporate those into breakfast; plus I bought a big bin of spinach yesterday at the store so I figured a scramble was the best way to get these 2 things together.  It turned out really good.  It was composed of 1 egg + about 1/2 cup egg whites, a handful of spinach, a little butter (to saute spinach), handful of black beans, about 1/4 cup cheddar, 1/4 avocado, a couple lumps of sprouts and lots of homemade salsa.  I accompanied this by a piece of homemade multi-grain bread and an iced coffee on the side.  Whew..that is a lot of ingredients!  Good thing I plan on a spinning class this afternoon.  Let me just show you what this ended up looking like.

The sprouts were really good.  I didn't think I liked sprouts or I used to think not but I think it depends on what they are on and maybe what kind they are.  Before Dave started researching them I didn't realize there were so many varieties.  He made broccoli sprouts already which were good.  They had a peppery quality and a slight broccoli flavor but not really a strong broccoli-ness.  According to healingdaily.com " Sprouts are rich with vitamins, minerals, proteins, and enzymesHave you ever heard of a vegetable which continues to gain vitamins after you harvest it? Sprouts do this. Sprouts are LIVING foods. Even after you harvest your sprouts and refrigerate them, they will continue to grow slowly and their vitamin content will actually increase" 

I've been trying to address where I'm at with my 2010 goal list.  So, lets talk about Goal #3 which was do more Yoga.  I was specific in my goal in that I wanted to do a class when we are here and do a class when we are in Carlsbad..which would put me about about 2 classes every 10 days.  This one seems to go in spurts.  I feel like we were doing more yoga a few weeks ago and think I might need to step it back up but if I remember correctly (maybe I should log this stuff!) I think we've been doing about 1 class per trip.  Encinitas has a great yoga space that we love so its definitely nice to fit a class in when we're there.  Its Yoga in a yurt.  A Yurt is a circular domed dwelling that is portable and self-supporting; originally used by nomadic Mongol and Turkic people of central Asia but now used as inexpensive alternative or temporary housing.  Its like a souped up tent.  The one at Yoga Swami has wood floors and really gives you an organic space to practice yoga.  The teachers they have there are great too which helps.  I really enjoy yoga its just that sometimes after a spin class or a long run I just want to relax on the couch instead of go to yoga but what I need to remind myself is that I'll feel better after if I just get up and go!  But I do try and throw some yoga in wherever I go... see this was after dinner and I just busted into a one legged plank!  Ok, that probably won't ever happen again.

No comments: