Sunday, July 26, 2009

Journaling - a start

I kick myself sometimes for not journaling my life. I think..how neat would that be to have a written record of all the activities of my life...but then I get distracted and I don't start. So this will be my attempt at recording at least the interesting things if not the mundane. I have a horrible memory so I'm hoping this will be a record for me to remember the things I do....because I might forget them tomorrow. So, starting now I'll recall this past weekend and then we'll go forward. And when I say we... I mean me and whoever reads this...which I think will be me.. and maybe Dave if I remind him :)

This past weekend was my post birthday - birthday celebration. I was in Phoenix on my actual birthday. I had traveled there for work and stayed through the weekend to see the family and hang out with the girls. I had a great time with my mom shopping and eating out and a fun family dinner at P.F. Changs to celebrate the July birthdays. I also had a really fun party weekend with my girlfriends which was drinking, eating, gay bar karaoke and a pool day. ahhh, the little things in life.

My wonderful husband set-up a few really fun surprises for me to celebrate. First was on Wednesday night (July 22nd). He had told me that we were doing something for my birthday and that "I'd get a good workout". Hmm, that was scary sounding but I was up for a challenge. So he guided me on what to wear and he put on his workout clothes too and we headed out. We drove all the way to Culver City (near L.A.) and pull up in front of a few warehouses. Then one we park in front of says event planning and catering and I'm thinking...is Dave helping me change my career.. am I baking...why am I in my workout clothes. Then we walk around back and I see the actual building we're going to. I was surprised and excited...then we get inside and I'm scared and nervous. There was this big ring hanging from the ceiling and purple silk hanging down like a rope, and a rope and 3 individual trapeze bars. The people walking in all looked like they knew each other and I was like great.. so at that moment I SO wanted to tell Dave to get his money back and can't we just go eat dinner. Then my class starts and I start to relax. The teacher was this cute french Canadian girl who used to be in Cirque du Soleil and was super nice! It was 7 people including me so it wasn't an intimidating size. The class I took was "circus conditioning" which Dave said the lady told him when he called would be the best starter class. Its basically a fitness class doing some conditioning work on the floor etc.. then the last part is using the equipment. I got to climb a rope and the purple silk fabric stuff and sit on top of one of the trapeze bars and fun stuff like that. I totally missed my calling...I was AWESOME! No really, I was good. Ok, so we didn't do anything really cirque like but I was loving it. SO FUN. I might go back and take more of these classes and then maybe take the aerial arts class. Karyne (our teacher) told me I could jump right in with no problem ... see I am supposed to be in the circus! After my circus class we changed. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention..Dave putting on his workout clothes was just to throw me off. He didn't participate at all.. just watched and tried to take a few pictures but I told him he couldn't use the flash because I didn't want people knowing my husband was over there taking pictures of the newbie :)

After changing it was off to dinner at My Father's Office. This place was SO crowded. I thought it was a burger joint, but turns out they have 1 burger on the menu but I've heard its good. So we both ordered the burger and an order of sweet potato fries. The fries were awesome. The burger was really really good and don't you dare try to make any deletions or substitutions.. THEY DON'T DO IT .. and they are serious. So the burger had blue cheese on it..which I actually kind of like..but Dave does NOT. Turns out it wasn't that much and the burger was still awesome (Dave even said it was the best burger he's had in a while). Then we headed to Santa Monica's 3rd street promenade to get gourmet churro's.

The churros were good but the guy at the counter was such a dud. Dave said "so do people usually get 2 of these each" and the guys says "no, usually just 1...they are kind of expensive and not very big".. what the hell does that mean. This guy SHOULD NOT be working the counter. He had absolutely no idea how to get us into it. I think he really didn't want to be there.

Then we finally drove home after we had consumed our weight in burgers and churros.

Next post will be about the rest of the weekend surprise :)

No comments: