Monday, July 27, 2009

Birthday weekend continued



In my last post I talked about my circus adventure. So that was on Wednesday July 22nd, now I'll talk about how Dave surprised me for the rest of the weekend.. the 23 through 25th. Thursday morning we woke up and got packed and he whisked me off to Solana Beach for the weekend. I'd say the Carlsbad/Encinitas/Solana Beach/Del Mar area is probably one of our most favorite easy getaways. I love it down there.. close to the beach, relaxed, great restaurants. We headed down Thursday ate lunch in Carlsbad at Naked Cafe, then checked into the Courtyard in Solana Beach - great location and a nice place. Then it was a quick change and a drive to Swami's beach to grab a parking spot and run on the beach at low tide. After running we changed and headed to yoga at Yoga Swami. Doing yoga in the yurt at yoga swami just seems so fitting when you are right down there in Encinitas. After that we headed back to the hotel to shower quickly and walk down to have dinner at Blanca which we've been to once before and happened to be just down from our hotel. The dinner was great and it was time for bed!

Friday morning we woke up early to head down to have breakfast at one of my favorite breakfast spots in Encinitas. Honey's bakery. Such a great atmosphere...and always packed! We usually have to stalk the outside tables to pounce on one when it becomes available. I typically get the granola waffle but wanted to try something new so I ordered chilaquiles. They were good but my heart is still with the granola waffle. Got back to the hotel just in time for me to have a few meetings - oh yeah...did I mention I was still working - so I finished up my meetings around 1 and we walked down to the same shopping center that houses Blanca to a fun cupcake shop to have an afternoon snack. Cupcake Love makes some goooood cupcakes. I think my favorite though is the traditional vanilla bliss. Now after cupcakes comes reflexology. We found a little reflexology place online that seemed to get good reviews so we headed over. We had reflexology for the first time in Whistler in Canada and liked it so since then we've tried it in Redlands too. The foot massage can be kind of intense in certain spots and sometimes the back slapping/cupping they do seems a little hard...but in the end it feels nice. So we had our 1 hour foot massages (which actually include arms, legs, face and back) for $25..what a deal! Now it was time to run on those relaxed feet (except I just walked). Running on the beach is so much better than running on the sidewalk anyday! Of course after running comes dinner. So we showered and headed to my favorite restaurant down there - Q'ero. YUM YUM. Quick walk near the beach and its home for bed.

The plan on Saturday was to wake up and go to yoga...but instead we slept in. After waking up we walked down to Solana beach coffee co. to grab some coffee and morning pastries then walk along the beach. Then it was time to check out of the hotel. For lunch we ate on Le Passage in Carlsbad. I love their duck breast salad... the duck is SO good and not very 'ducky'. Then it was back home :( but that meant we were able to see the doggies!

What an awesome birthday 'weekend'. What an awesome husband :)

No comments: