Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Where to start

Well my last post was quite some time ago.  Its already the 4th week in June.  Really, I had planned to start blogging more often and then look what happened.  You know what I think it really is is a few things.  First, I have a lot of ideas of where to go with this blog.  Should I talk about what / how we eat.  Should I blog about our workouts and my struggles to become an "athlete".  I could blog when we do trips.  I could blog about random thoughts I have day to day... or my job.  So many ideas that seem all over the place so why don't I just start blogging what comes up and then maybe I'll hone it into a genre..or maybe not.  Also, I think it freaks me out a little bit that people could actually read it and for those days where I decide to blog on what I'm thinking; could actually know what I'm thinking :)  Also, I'm not exactly the most interested in my job so I think I'm a little afraid of putting it on paper because I'm afraid of what it might sound like out loud.  I really do appreciate the face that I have a job.  I think I just need to cultivate the passion in it!.  I guess we'll see where it all goes!!

So to start.  I just found this notebook in my side table that I used to record what I ate in.  It stopped in 2008 I notice.  4/19/08 to be exact and the very last thing I wrote that I ate was Peeps :)  Yes people, I love Peeps.  I realize they aren't "whole" foods and are terribly sugar laden...but the devil lives inside me as a sweet tooth.  Oh yeah, I love cotton candy too!  Anyways, I try to only eat Peeps seasonally which used to mean I only had them around Easter.. now Peeps has gone and sucked me into many other holidays.  I can now get them at Halloween, Christmas and Valentine's day for sure so I might have a problem on my hands.  Back to where I started.  So this notebook was once used for journaling my food choices which I am wondering if I should start doing again.  It might be interesting to see what I'm eating and how it affects my workouts and hunger etc.  Also, "they" say that keeping a food diary helps keep you on track with your eating.  It is interesting to note that I weighed about the same back in 2007/2008 as I do now.  I guess that is a good thing but it means that I've been talking since then about losing those last 5-10 lbs.  Makes me wonder if I really mean it....more on that some other post.

In this same journal at the end I found a 2010 Goals list that I believe I penned right before I went to bed one night.  I have no idea what night or how far into 2010 it was because I didn't date it.  I can only imagine it came after catching a late night Oprah show where she tells me to find my authentic self :)  So, here was my 2010 goals list:

1. Eat more veggies as snacks
2. Eat less sugar
3. Do more yoga.  Strive for @ least 1 session in Rancho and 1 in Carlsbad
4. Add additional strength training to workouts
5. Ramp up the cardio / workouts in general....no more excuses, yes you can do it!!!
6. Do more adventurous things with Dave; maybe an international trip in the next few years
7. Spend more time with my sisters and girlfriends; plan better and make trips
8. Cook more dinners
9. Use local fresh ingredients more often
10. Pick an area of life or home to "green" and do it.
11. Explore hobbies / careers / passions; find your drive!
12. Journal or write 1x/week at least.
13. Organize something...nail down an idea and do it - pictures, organize frames, albums, display!.. or kitchen or linen cabinets... or office/game closet
14. You have so many things you think you "should" do or should be better at.  What really speaks to you and it could be a few things
     * learn something new
     * bike
     * paddleboard
     * pilates certification
     * cooking/baking
     * learn a language
     * learn piano

15.  there was a number 15 but it was blank... guess I got distracted

So, there it is folks.  Clearly after reading #14 my hunch about Oprah was right.  I don't think I'd speak to myself in those words otherwise... why on earth am I speaking to myself anyways?  14 goals for 2010.  Not sure if that is high or not but since I just dug this out and its already June I think I'm a little behind.  In all fairness I actually have done a lot of these or attempted to focus on them a little bit.  Perhaps over the next few posts I'll break down what I've done on each of them.  Or maybe I'll just put the blogging on my to do list as #15... could be a while!

No comments: