Monday, October 6, 2008

Maui 2008; Day 2; October 5th; Sunday

Today is our first full day in Maui - Sunday. Dave and I woke up early to head out for our long runs. So we headed off to Wailea where we know there is a long sidewalk area to run and Mom got up and did a walk on the beach in front of the condo (I'll have her type up her experiences). Its humid here and a little warm so the runs always seem difficult..plus where we ran is hilly. It didn't help that right after we started running I had to go to the bathroom. So I kept running a while and decided I couldn't go much further out.. so I headed back thinking I'd try these shops I ran by and see if there was a public restroom - then I thought - wait..I'm running by all these REALLY nice resorts..surely they have restrooms in their lobbies. So the first place I saw after I thought of this was the Four Seasons. So I started walking down a long hill towards the main entrance. When the valet/etc guys out front saw me coming one of them came up to me with a silver tray containing a cold bottle of water and a cold wet lemon scented hand towel. WOW, that's service. So I took my offerings and headed inside. ITS REALLY NICE in there. They have awesome views and a great looking pool area. They did have restrooms and they were of course nice and clean. Then I headed back out to finish my run. At that point I was kind of done with running but I finished as much as I could (running / walking) and headed home.

After that we headed out to rent Mom some snorkel gear. Then went to lunch at Pita Paradise. They do a really good 'fresh catch' Pita. That day it was Ono or Mahi Mahi. So all 3 of us got the fresh catch pita along with some cheese bread to start. Then off to Mom's first snorkeling trip. It went really good. We went to Mokapu/Ulua beach for snorkeling which is in Wailea and has a decent afternoon snorkel (most places are best in the early morning). Mom got adjusted pretty quickly and we were off swimming around. We saw a lot of fish and dave caught an octopus and stuck it to his arm (mom has a picture on her water camera that hopefully came out good). So we snorkeled for probably an hour and then headed back home to rest, shower and get ready for our Lu'au.

The Lu'au check-in was 5:15 pm where we were greeted with Mai Tai and shown to our table. Then you just wander around the grounds for a while checking out the different crafts and scenery and visiting the free open bar :) Then the buffet dinner opens and you are shown to the buffet table by table. The food was really good with a lot of variety and a lot of things to try. Some of it was very traditional Hawaiian style food that I had to try. I didn't love all of it but most of it was pretty good. Then we watched the show and got out of there about 8:15. Then headed home and went out front to see if we could find some toads to photograph. We'd seen some our first night here. So we got a few photos then pretty much called it a night!

No comments: