Thursday, April 28, 2011

It's been a while... I get easily distracted

I can't believe its been since September that I updated the blog.  I really get gung ho about stuff and then somehow I lost my focus.  I looked at my last post of the Louisville Ironman and re-lived it for a moment which was nice.  I think part of the reason I haven't been on lately is I'm still not sure what I'm really looking to get out of the blog... do I want to blog about fitness, food, travel, everyday musings?  I'm not sure so I get overwhelmed by ideas and don't do any of them!  So let's try this again and I'll just blog about whatever I want to each day and see where it heads.. keep with me as I sort this out and eventually get this organized :)

So I last left off after the Louisville Ironman.  Let me catch you up on what's happened since then.

Nephew in front of his room
on the base.
My nephew joined the Marines which is crazy.. seems like he's still my little nephew but all of a sudden he's all grown up and in the Marines.. that is no joke.  So he graduated boot camp and is now in his 'job training'.  No idea where he is going to end up working yet but we'll just wait and see.









Dave and I went back to Tucson for an anniversary trip - planned by mua!  Tucson is where we met and spent our first few dating years.  Lots of fun memories back there so it was nice to visit.


We went to New York for the first time for both of us.  I LOVED Central Park.  What an amazing park to have in the middle of a big city like that.  We loved going for runs there and exploring.  Dave ran the NY Marathon; I sadly did not (entry is by lottery and I didn't get picked.. my overachiever husband however qualified to run it).  We really enjoyed the NY trip.  It almost seemed to me like there was too much to see and it was hard to narrow it down.

Next thing we did was run the Las Vegas marathon and I PR'd!  Yeah me!  Remember back when I said I was going to do a training program to beat 4:30.. well somewhere around there I decided to try to beat 4 hours and I did it!  My time was 3:58:44... so much better than I thought I was capable of.  Funny what you can do if you start actually believing it and working towards it.  The marathon was good adn I felt pretty good the whole time.  I had to tell my bladder to shut up a few times but it made it the whole way without bursting so that is a good thing.  So now I might be toying with the idea of qualifying for Boston.  I'd have to shave an extra 13 minutes off...which means 30 seconds per mile faster but I think I could do it if I really worked at it.  I don't like a lot of pressure so I think that is why I'm not yet committing to the idea but I really want to do it sometime and why not now?

That brings us to the end of 2010.  I think I need to re-visit my goals from last year and bring them up to current.  I left off talking about them on #5.. which I think I accomplished but need to keep pushing especially if I want to qualify for Boston. 

5. Ramp up the cardio / workouts in general....no more excuses, yes you can do it!!!
6. Do more adventurous things with Dave; maybe an international trip in the next few years - putting this off till maybe 2012??
7. Spend more time with my sisters and girlfriends; plan better and make trips - need to get better...never seems like enough time.
8. Cook more dinners - Definitely accomplished this.
9. Use local fresh ingredients more often - We are doing much better on this one and I feel pretty good about it.. want to keep working towards local/organic/fresh more often. 
10. Pick an area of life or home to "green" and do it. - I've started this with my cleaning supplies and am totally happy with them so far.  I can't get myself to throw stuff away until I've used it so I'm still using up some of the older stuff but as I get rid of it I'm trying to pick more environmentally friendly options.  One I really love is making our own air freshener with essential oils instead of using canned air freshener.
11. Explore hobbies / careers / passions; find your drive! - Always working on this one... no big breakthrough yet.
12. Journal or write 1x/week at least. - Um, FAIL!
13. Organize something...nail down an idea and do it - pictures, organize frames, albums, display!.. or kitchen or linen cabinets... or office/game closet - I've tackled a few things but need to keep working on it.. I still need to do so much organizing.  I picture my house in my head and its perfectly organized and neat.. I'm just having trouble figuring out how to get there.  Honestly.. I don't know how working moms do it..I just have 2 dogs and 1 husband and it still seems challenging!

No comments: