Monday, November 2, 2009

The Boulder Marathon - Delayed posting

The Boulder Marathon was September 20th but I'm only now realizing I didn't blog about it.  This will probably not be as descriptive because my memory isn't that great.  I've been to Boulder before for work and forgot how cute it is.  I really like the feel of Boulder and the neat small restaurants and shops that they have.  I think in general I'm a big(ish) city girl so I wonder if living in a smaller community like that would not end up being my thing but its fun to visit at least!  Its just got a great small town outdoorsy feel to it.  Lots of trails to explore.  The marathon took place out at the reservoir so it was removed from the main roads which is nice so you aren't always running near cars. 

It ended up being HOT the day we did the marathon.  I grew up in Phoenix so I guess I can't really call anything less than 100 HOT so I might be exaggerating but when you are running 26.2 miles anything above 80 tends to feel hot.  It was on a dirt course with not many trees around for most of it and the sun was blaring!  I remember at one of the aid stations they had run out of cups for water so they were handing out full bottles of water which I took advantage of since I wasn't running super fast.  I feel like I drank a lot on course but I never had to pee which is probably not a good sign but it was nice for once to not have to stop in the middle of a race to pee.. yippee.  There were a decent number of rolling hills so the race just felt hard to me... maybe because its 26.2 miles :)  that never seems to get easy for me.  It was overall a good race though.  It was an out and back so at one point I to see Dave as I was running out and he was running back in.  I finally made it to the finish in roughly 5:17 which is better than my last marathon.  I just keep getting better...but of course Dave was already done and sitting in the car when I finished.  UM..hello where was my cheering squad.  I guess we'll have to work on that one. 

No comments: